Saturday 18 October 2008

Funky Monkey and the Big Sock



Hey there folks - I know, I know . . . I promised to live blog today's event, but that just didn't happen. I took the laptop and even booted it up at one point, but then folks started coming in, wanted to knit on the sock, but needed help because they either couldn't knit or didn't knit very well . . . so the computer got put up and I hunkered down to do what I was there to do - introduce some Alaskans to the Big Sock.

And, a grand time was had by all. 22 or 23 people came by to add to the sock - they all signed the book and had their pictures taken, too. Pics will be posted to the flickr account sometime tomorrow. I have them downloaded and resized, but not uploaded to the account.

However, here is a favorite of mine. My two daughters and five of the seven grandchildren came to see the sock, touch the sock, work on the sock, be IN the sock . . .


Isn't that a good looking group? There was room enough in there for several more people, too, but I just love this shot. Because the kids are so small, the sock could not be held up to its tallest, but I think it must reach the top of daughter on the right's head. She's a tad over 5 foot 4, I think. Daughter on the left is about 5' 6" or so.

I was interviewed by TWO newspapers, instead of the one I had requested. A reporter from the second paper happened to be in the coffee shop having breakfast, saw what was going on and told me it was "too good a story to pass up." How cool! I'll post links to the stories when they come out and tuck copies into the binder, too.
We had a great time and I'm looking forward to taking the sock up to Anchorage Friday. Stay tuned for more fun on that trip.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Fab photos, great to see Bigsock with the family, and good to hear its enabling a whole bunch of new knitters too!

Amber said...

I'm so excited to knit on it on Friday! WOO HOO!